Virtually all the products we sell are designed for DIY assembly, and most are sold as a kit (usually in panel form) with all fixings, fastenings and assembly instructions included. Usually two people with basic DIY skills and tools can manage to assemble almost any of our products in a few hours, although this will obviously vary from product to product.
If you don't have time, or if DIY isn't your thing, then we can also offer a professional assembly or installation service for most products, however there is normally an additional labour charge for this service. If you want us to assemble your building, then you will be asked to complete and submit an online form:
To keep costs as low as possible and pass on the savings to you, we generally use our own in-house fitting teams, but to provide the best service, some buildings require assembly by the manufacturer or a specialist 3rd-party installation company. Fitting teams are strategically placed around the UK, but may still have to travel substantial distances to install your building, therefore we may not be able to offer this service in some geographical locations (or there may be a surcharge). You will be notified prior to you order being accepted if this is the case.
All garden buildings require a suitable surface (base) to sit on, and these base requirements will vary depending on the type of building, i.e. a wooden shed with a floor, will require a different base than a metal shed without a floor etc. Regardless of what building you have though, your base needs to be flat, level and firm. Don't scrimp, as the better the base, the longer your building will last. you'll have to have it ready before your building is assembled. Generally, we don't fit bases, so you'll have to do it yourself, and there are many different kinds to choose from, including Ecobase or ProBase plastic grids, paving slabs, concrete, decking, timber frame, and wooden bearers etc. however it's up to you to choose the most suitable for your building (and your pocket!). All methods have their merits, and we'll be happy to help you choose the best base for you... just give us a call.
As well as a good base, you'll also need enough space around your building to assemble it properly, and make sure that you can get in to maintain it in the future. If you can provide these simple things, then your building will last for many years. Please read on for more detailed information.
Here are a few of our more common installation questions. We've tried to answer them as clearly and simply as possible, however please don't hesitate to call or email us if you have any questions, or check out our terms and conditions for some more detailed information. Please note that 'assembly' is also known as 'fitting' and 'installation'.
Is an assembly service available on all products?
Is assembly free?
- No, not all products, but we can offer an assembly service on the vast majority of products. There are only a handful of manufacturers products that are DIY only.
What is the lead time for professional assembly?
- No. Usually there is an installation charge, and this will vary from product to product. Sometimes we offer free installation as a promotion on certain products, however this is always based upon availability in your area, and cannot be guaranteed.
What needs to be checked before the fitters arrive?
- Normally installations are about 4 weeks (usually about 1 or 2 weeks more than a delivery only), however this will vary depending upon the product and the time of year. During peak season, installations can be as much as 6-8 weeks for some items.
What happens if there is a problem, and the building can't be fitted?
- The fitting team needs to be able to find your property easily with a sat-nav. Please give us special directions if you aren't easy to find, as this will avoid them running late for the next customer.
- They will need to get their vehicle as near to the installation site as possible, as the large panels need to be carried by hand. Please let us know if there are any issues getting close. Unfortunately our fitters aren't insured to carry panels through your house, up-and-over fences or walls, steep slopes etc. In all instances, delivery will be made to the nearest point roadside only, and they will only take your building to it's destination point if suitable and safe to do so. Ultimately, it is your responsibilty to make sure that your building can reach the area where you want it to be assembled.
- Depending on your building, some panels can be extremely large (sometimes in excess of 2.5m) so they may not fit through a standard door, archway, or gate, terraced house etc. Please check that there are no height restrictions, and give us a call on 01875 613090 if you are unsure.
- Your base needs to be flat, level and firm, and you'll also need enough space around your building for us to assemble it properly. Normally 60cm (2ft is enough). Please check on the specific base requirements for your particular building when ordering.
What if I change my mind?
- Sometimes the weather can be really bad (we are in Britain after all!), so we may have to postpone your job. If we do, we'll re-schedule for the next available day that we're going to be in your area. Luckily, we don't postpone jobs very often!
- If the base is wrong, or access is unsuitable (see above), then we won't be able to do the installation for you. Unfortunately if this happens, we will leave the building for you to fit yourself, and because we would still have our costs (i.e. scheduling, transporting, fuel, wages, etc.) we won't be able to refund you any of the installation charges that you have already paid. Yes, we can return and do the job at a later date, however there would be a charge of 10% of the building cost (or the full costs to us for handling, transportation and installation, whichever is higher) and I'm sure you wouldn't want that. There may also be storage charges if we have to hold your building for an excessive period, and return delivery charges if we aren't able to leave the building. We'll send you a checklist which needs to be completed, however make sure you read it and understand it. If you have any access or base issues, just let us knowwhen filling in the form, and we should be able to work round it somehow... the last thing we want is an unhappy customer!... The following link will take you to the checklist form that we'll ask you to complete, so you may want you 'check' it out before placing your order... Pre-Installation Checklist Form.
- It's no problem if you feel that the item you ordered isn't for you. You can cancel your order as long as it hasn't been manufactured, dispatched* or assembled. If you've received your item and you no longer want to keep it, then you can arrange for it to be returned with 14 days. You'll need to arrange the return transport yourself, or we can do it for you if you prefer, but if we do, the return costs will be deducted from your refund. You should be aware that the return costs can be substantial (especially if it's a large or bulky item), so always try and order the correct product. These return charges will also apply for refused deliveries.
Important Note: Unfortunately you can't cancel your order and we can't accept any returns if you have ordered a bespoke item and production has started, or if it's being delivered to you direct from overseas (e.g. Biohort
) and is already in transit, so please make sure that you research your product fully before ordering. If you refuse delivery of a bespoke item or an overseas delivery, you will be liable for the additional ongoing storage costs of the item, as well as the cost of re-delivery to your address. Please check carefully before ordering your product, that way there will be no unnecessary expense for you... remember we are always happy to help if you need any information before pushing that button. We recommend that you read and understand our terms and conditions